Garish Red Tulips

The snow is falling this morning, but I am ready for spring. Strike that, I can handle the snow, I just want flowers again.  Clusters of hyacinth and drifts of tulips...a host of tiny daffodils marching through the woods...wafts of unidentifiable scents around every corner...the deliciousness of spring.  Alas, at the moment, I have only found a few stray tulip points, one lonely hyacinth trying to emerge and a single clump of daffodils being brave and poking their heads above ground. It makes me search through old pictures to find what I am hoping for in the next couple of months:

Grape Hyacinth and Tulips at A Nest for All Seasons by Amy R.K.

I always fall for bright red tulips. They never match the colors of my gardens and they always look garish. I always cut them and bring them indoors for some cheer because they disjoint the garden. I am not sure why I love them and hate them so much at the same time.

Fresh little grape hyacinths work much better in the fresh greens of spring...

Grape Hyacinth in Lawn at A Nest for All Seasons by Amy R.K.

Even better in the lawn itself...but look at those garish bits of red!@!
Grape Hyacinth in Lawn at A Nest for All Seasons by Amy R.K.

In spring, I crave the purples and greens, butter yellows and whites...
Emerging Hosta at A Nest for All Seasons by Amy R.K.

Fresh and new, crisp and clean, the promise of new life...
Spring Blooming Flowers at A Nest for All Seasons by Amy R.K.

...but then there is the grandstanding DRAMA of a red tulip.
Emerging Peony Foliage and Red Tulip at A Nest for All Seasons by Amy R.K.

This year, in this garden, I have tried to marry the best of both worlds. I have plenty of garish tulips planted down in the hollow and in separate beds (which will later hold veggies). However, the garden "real gardens" on and around the house are limited in color to those purples and creams, yellow, white and aubergine! If only the snow would stop and the parade would begin!

Pin It

Popular Posts