Why I Grow Pumpkins


“I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.” 
― 
Henry David Thoreau

If you have been following along on Instagram this summer, you might have noticed that I was ALL about the pumpkins. Pretty much bordering on over-sharing:









I grow pumpkins because: 

They are one of the easiest crops to grow, just needing space, sun and soil. No babying required.

 Their seeds can be saved easily year after year/ In fact, the seeds will often sprout straight from the compost.

They are relatively cheap seeds. I grow heirlooms and cheap grocery store types indiscriminately.
[Note: the Heirlooms come back exactly from seed...the hybrids will grow, but may be a surprise result!]

They look amazing all fall long. Stacked, Scattered, Carved, Whole.

The chickens eat them. Happily. Once they start to go soft, they go to the chicken pen 
and last another day before they are reduced to a few lonely leftover seeds.



If you have never grown a pumpkin, do yourself a favor and buy a $1 pack next spring 
and plant a seed or two in the sunniest spot you've got!




Pin It

Popular Posts