Anybody Know How to Make Great Guacamole?

This post brought to you by Avocados from Mexico. All opinions are 100% mine.

So here's the thing....remember when I told you about the guacamole at Sobrito's Tacos in Valladolid -- the ONLY great taco place we could find in that little town in Mexico?  It was this wonderful thin guacamole with a TON of heat...like super super spicy and I have never had anything like it before.

I usually hate guacamole.  I know it is like the classic party food, but the taste is off putting and the texture is too creamy and it doesn't have a very strong flavor to me.  (...although I just said the taste is off putting, so maybe that IS the flavor and I just don't like it?!?)  Anywho, I loved the guacamole we had in Mexico, so I wanted to try to recreate it.  I used one avocado, lemon juice to keep it from browning, a little kosher salt and then started adding cayenne pepper to it to give it kick.  It was still too thick, so I added cream and milk, and then water to try to get it to the light consistency of the guac at Sobritos.  The verdict?   BLECH.  I did NOT like it.  Someone help please!


This is my guacamole....it actually turned out to be a good consistency for spreading, but not what I was going for.  The heat was great, but the flavor was the same old flavor I remember other guacamole's having.   I used Florida Avocados...anybody know if that makes a difference?  Were the guys at Sobrito's using a Mexican variety I am not able to find here?  (There is Avocados from Mexico on Facebook so perhaps they would know?!?)   We tried to get the recipe out of the guys at the taco joint, but you know how it goes when neither party speaks nary a word of each other's language....so...


....back to the drawing board I guess...I was all excited because I thought I was going to have a great new (stolen from Sobrito's) recipe to share with  this whole Avocados from Mexico Guac Off Recipe Contest on facebook...but what the heck...it was good -- just not my cup of tea, so I'll probably enter anyway -- maybe is it THEIR cup of tea and I'll get lots o money!  Right?  :)

Maybe you have a killer guacamole recipe ??  You can win a bunch of prizes and money for your recipe too...

1. (3) Grand Prizes- iPad 2 and autographed cookbook signed by Celebrity Chef Roberto Santibañez
2. (7) Runners Up- A $200 grocery gift card and autographed cookbook signed by Celebrity Chef Roberto Santibañez
3. (10) separate winners just for entering will receive a $100 gift card
Just enter your recipe on facebook to win (and then share your secrets with ME PLEASE!)  Just click below to enter your recipe on facebook!


GuacOff_logo
Visit Sponsor's Site

Popular Posts