How to Plant Terrariums that Rival Anthropologie's for NICKELS!
You can fill them with any type of plant, but I like to use hardy plants that I don't have to worry about. That is part of the point of a terrarium...very little watering and care and the green just keeps on going.
I fill my terrariums with a very light and dry soil mix. If the soil is thick, heavy, wet garden soil, it might be too wet and will drown your plants, as a terrarium does not really dry out. I then line the "floor" of my terrariums with moss. I harvest it from my backyard under an old pine tree. If you don't know how to harvest moss, you can see the full technique of how I scrape moss off the soil RIGHT HERE.
![]() |
| My succulent "farm" that I take cuttings from. This pot comes inside every winter and the plants survive. |
I put the soil and moss at an angle to give it a bit of a "hill" effect and then start adding in plants. I use succulent cuttings that are super hardy and simply stick the tough stems down through the moss. By using these easy to root succulents, I can make bunches and bunches of terrariums using one base plant. These 4 types of succulents cost 25 cents each last year at Lowe's, so both of these terrariums were made for under a buck. That is a bit better than Anthro's 14 HUNDRED and 50 bucks, right?
What creative containers have you used as planters or terrariums?







