Peony Progression from Bud to Bloom

If you know me at all, you know I love peonies...and one of my favorite things to search for in spring are the tiny little peony points sticking up out of the ground.  They are a deep, bright maroon red and are actually a bit pointy when they first come out of the ground.  After a week or two, they start to stretch up to the sky and the tips open up a bit.

Peony Progression from Bed to Bloom at A Nest for All Seasons

It is always a bit shocking to me when the vibrant red stalks turn completely green and look utterly different from the previous week's growth.  This is a transplanted peony, so it is small.  A typical established peony will have anywhere from 5-10+ of these stalks in a large circle that will grow straight up.

Peony Progression from Bed to Bloom at A Nest for All Seasons

At this point in spring, the leaves are bright green and very glossy with a little red still left in the very center. 

Peony Progression from Bed to Bloom at A Nest for All Seasons

When they bloom, they are a most glorious sight...layers upon layers of fluffy petals in shades of pink, red and white. 
SO girly!  ...and the smell is beyond divine...

Peony Progression from Bed to Bloom at A Nest for All Seasons

After a few years in the ground, your peony will grow into a large, dark green plant with a rounded habit that does not need pruning.  The flowers are only one of the reasons I like peonies in my garden.  The other is their shape and habits.  Happily, my neighbor is getting rid of many of her perennials, so I am the mommy to a bunch of peony divisions (along with irises and roses and coneflowers and more to bulk up flower arrangements!).  Sadly, this summer has been a wet one so far and one of my peonies is suffering from a little blight.  See those few black edges?

Peony Progression from Bed to Bloom at A Nest for All Seasons

What is blight??????
There are various diseases peonies can get, but my untrained eye tells me this is the botrytis fungus, as opposed to (what I would deem) the more serious phytophthora blight.  You can read HERE for more info if you need it.  Basically, I could spray the plant and put harmful chemicals into the soil and around my kids, or I could chalk it up to lots of rain and deal with the way it looks for the season and chop it all down in the fall.  I choose the latter.

Do you have this problem?  Do you still compost your peony leaves?

Popular Posts